Touched by TB - the Coalition of TB people in India was formed with the goal to work towards a TB-free India.
One person dies of TB in India every single minute. TB is a silent killer that is preventable and curable, if society at large comes together to fight it.
Keeping this in mind, and the urgent need to make affected voices heard from varied groups to fight TB, the coalition of TB people in India - Touched by TB was formed. The first meeting took place on April 13, 2017 in New Delhi at the Regional Capacity Building workshop for TB Survivors organized by REACH.
The participants were from different states who recognized the gap of a national level body and expressed the urgent need and desire to form a national coalition of people who have survived TB. The network decided that in line with the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Program (RNTCP) commitment, the goal of Touched by TB is “TOWARDS A TB-FREE INDIA”.
To meet this goal, following commitments were articulated which will translate into the aims and objectives of the Coalition:
- To create and sustain a coordinated and capacitated national coalition of people affected by TB
- To ensure that the voice and the wisdom of the lived experience of the community is heard across all platforms including health policy, service delivery and resource distribution
- To ensure treatment literacy and awareness for people living with TB
- To build the capacity of TB advocates
- To overcome barriers to TB treatment and diagnostics
- To advocate for acceptable, accessible, compassionate, comprehensive, rights-based services for people irrespective of age or gender
- To network with and build linkages with other agencies and groups across the country, regionally and globally
- To network with and support the Ministry of Health and the RNTCP and its partners to achieve the goal of ending TB in India by 2025
The Coalition has 5 regional focal points:
North East – Mr. Tilak Muntun
East – Dr. Santosh Kumar Giri
North – Ms. Mona Balani
West – Ms. Prabha Mahesh
South – Mr. Rama Pandian
Any resident of India who has had TB and would like to be part of the efforts to end TB, can email the Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the membership.