UNITAID is seeking to fund new innovative projects to increase access to treatment, diagnostic, and preventive products for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB), and malaria. In 2013 UNITAID approved over $160 million in funding.
UNITAID will be accepting letters of intent (LOIs) on proposed projects until 15 May. LOIs are short conceptual presentations of proposed projects that can be submitted online in either English or French. Proponents with successful LOIs are invited to submit full project proposals for UNITAID funding. Call details and LOI submission guidelines are available at: http://www.unitaid.org/calls.
Projects concepts proposed under this Call must correspond with UNITAID’s market-based approach to improving public health and must contribute to one or more of UNITAID’s six Strategic Objectives:
- Increase access to simple, point-of-care diagnostics for HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria
- Increase access to affordable, paediatric medicines to treat HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria
- Increase access to emerging medicines and/or regimens, as well as new formulations, dosage forms, or strengths of existing medicines that will improve the treatment of HIV/AIDS and co infections such as viral hepatitis
- Increase access to artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs) and emerging medicines, that, in combination with appropriate diagnostic testing, will improve the treatment of malaria
- Secure supply of second-line TB medicines, and increase access to emerging medicines and regimens that will improve treatment of both drug-sensitive and multi drug-resistant TB
- Increase access to products for the prevention of HIV, TB, and malaria
Additional information about UNITAID’s funding model and Strategic Objectives is available in the UNITAID 2013-2016 Strategy: http://www.unitaid.org/strategy.
LOIs must be submitted to UNITAID by 17:00 Geneva (Switzerland) time (GMT+1) on Thursday 15 May 2014. Proponents will be notified by early June 2014 as to whether they will be invited to submit a full project proposals for UNITAID funding. Full project proposals will be due in early September 2014.
Requests for further information on this Call for LOIs should be sent to: email@example.com.