The European Respiratory Society (ERS) offers a short-term fellowship each year to support the developing research skills of young doctors from low- and middle-income countries working in the field of tuberculosis. The one-to-three month project should be carried out in a European research centre.
The ERS Walther Guerrero Ciquero TB Fellowship honours the memory of Dr Walther Guerrero Ciquero, who died in 2010 while on duty in Djibouti for Médecins Sans Frontières. A highly dedicated physician, he used his experience and knowledge of TB to benefit patients in MSF projects in Kenya, Abkhazia, Armenia and Georgia.
Who may apply for the fellowship?
- Candidates must be ERS members.
- The qualifying candidate will be a young doctor from a low-medium income country (WHO) for a project in the field of tuberculosis.
- There is no upper age-limit criterion of eligibility; however preference will be given to applicants who are in the early stages of their careers.
- At a minimum, applicants should have graduated with an MD, MSc or equivalent at the time of application. Candidates may also be qualified healthcare professionals (non-MD) working in respiratory medicine/health.
- The research training should be carried out in a European centre.
- On completion of the Fellowship, applicants must return to their Home Unit to conduct research and to apply the newly acquired skills. Availability of facilities, funds and resources at the Home Unit is requested to continue the research activities.
- The Fellowship will be awarded to a research project which carries on in the spirit of Dr. Walther Guerrero Ciquero’s work.
- The duration is 1 to 3 months (may not be reduced nor split) in a foreign country in Europe.
- Candidates can expect a funding decision within 4 months of the application submission deadline. Fellowships must commence after funding decision dates as there is no retroactive funding.
Deadline for applications
- Applications are accepted two times a year. The upcoming deadlines are 15 April and 1 October 2014.
For more information and to apply click here:
Source: The Union